Friday, May 19, 2006

My stay @ NDA.

This article is long due It’s a very abridged version of my stay there. Every minute I spent there has a story associated with it!!

Is Kursee Par Ajay Devgan Ne Baal Katwaaye Thay”. The barber said to me. I beamed with pleasure. NDA for me at that moment felt like a sweet movie, where nothing can go wrong and even if it does, the end is surely going to be a happy one for all.

That was my first day at the prestigious National Defense Academy, Pune. From being a “long locks” backpacker , I became a crew cut (No , actually zero cut) cadet ! Saw my face in the mirror and was like “Whoa!! What happened to you, Dude?? “

Anyways, then came the squadron allotment time. Few of the seniors had to cut short their holidays at home to welcome us first timers (Ikkeees , we were called ). They demonstrated to us How to march in front of the Adjutant (a Major rank officer) , stay upright , brisk and alert.

It was kind of awkward and funny for me because I never had walked in a straight line before in my entire life!! And there I was, standing in attention and getting my squadron allotted.

Cut to the next day – Rest of the Academy pours in. The squadron is abuzz with activity and curiosity. The Ikkeees have come!! Where are they from?? Which sport?? Pal clubs, Football clubs, Basketball Clubs!! And you wanna to join ‘em all!!

How fast can you run?? Howz your Academics??

BOTTOMLINE – How best can you serve your squadron.

Cut to After a month – Acclimatization complete !! I now know How the Academy functions. Whom to turn to in case of any problem. Whom to stay away from!!How to catch up on your nap in between the lectures. How to open a biscuit packet without making an iota of noise. How to cook Maggi using an iron (press) and a shoe-polish mess tin.

Cut to After four months – Fell off a horse during basic riding routine. Diagnosed with Stress fracture (common ailment) in both my legs. Sent to MH Khirkee for further analysis. Doctors there give me M & D (Medicine and Discharge!!). I come back. Given Restrictions (type of punishments at the Academy) for faking injury!! I serve them but they keep on coming. Then I lose all my enthusiasm. The filmi dream is shattered. I feel like I am being punished intentionally. Although it seems alright, now that I look back at it in retro. Meanwhile I keep completing my punishments (Restrictions and ET’s)

Then one day my leg buckles. On a stair. I fall down. Taken to MH and then the downfall starts. Am admitted , diagnosed with curved bones – severe form of stress fracture. Mental agony , nothing to do except reading and resting and seeing your batch mates running around happily. After a month in hospital , I have lost all my momentum. The enthusiasm has vanished. I am behind in studies, flunked in Mid Sems and then disaster follows. I might not clear my medicals for AF cadets!! So I might be grounded during my tenure!!

That’s it. I decide to bail out. To fly is my only dream. And that was a gamble I was not willing to take at the Academy. A rational choice and I am happy it paid off!!

My stay there was more like the movie “An Officer and a Gentleman” rather than “Major Saab” . Although I would have preferred it to be akin to the latter!!!

BOTTOMLINE: You cant stay at the Academy if your legs are not in proper condition. And once you lag behind , either its your will to serve the nation or lack of options that keeps you there. I had neither. I wanted to fly………………….

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good post. It is life and where it will turn and when no one knows.
Live life king size like you have always!!!